Re: Not able to use HIGH_RES_TIMERS on ARM

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 09:04:55 EST

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:31:44PM +0530, Ajeet Yadav wrote:
> Hi John, refering to you patch:
>
> ARM: remove 'select GENERIC_TIME'
> GENERIC_TIME is now enabled by default, so 'select GENERIC_TIME' is
> redundant. Remove them.
>
> The following config's are not selectable:
> config NO_HZ, config HIGH_RES_TIMERS, config IRQSOFF_TRACER, config
> PREEMPT_TRACER
>
> As far as I know, ARM now uses GENERIC_TIME via the arch_getoffset()
> infrastructure, i.e ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET=y

No. It is possible to select these options, but only if your platform
uses the clockevent and clocksource infrastructure. If you're using that,
then you must _not_ select ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET.

ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET is for compatibility with old unconverted
platforms, which are _not_ possible to use the above features.