RE: [E1000-devel] e1000e interface hang on 82574L

From: Wyborny, Carolyn
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 12:29:10 EST

[...]

>you'll see that I tested that, and it doesn't work :( even if it did
>work, it shouldn't be needed: the driver attempts to turn off PCIe ASPM
>on affected NICs, and fails, apparently because *something* turns it
>back on again.
>
>--
>NULL && (void)

The driver attempts to disable L0s state, not the entire feature. It is also required that the device upstream on the bus from the 82574L have this disabled. Yes, I agree there appears to be something in the os that either ren-enables or fails to disable the feature on the upstream device, as desired. Platforms/systems also appear to vary in this regard, so the solutions may vary a bit as well.

Its worth trying your solution as well if what I suggested doesn't work, but there is not one solution that fits all, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Carolyn Wyborny
Linux Development