ext4 startup kernel oops in kernel 3.3.0

From: Marti Raudsepp
Date: Wed Mar 21 2012 - 09:17:15 EST

Hi,

I'm using kernel 3.3.0 on one of my VMs and recently it oopsed in ext4
during startup. Before this crash, I did a package update, followed
quickly by a reboot.

Things went wrong early enough in the boot process that there are no
log entries of the system's startup. Yet the fact that it crashed at
12 seconds is weird -- usually this machine boots in under 3 seconds.

Strangely enough, after another reboot, things were OK again.

I'm using Arch Linux with systemd, x86_64 VM under QEMU/KVM. virtio
storage using QEMU's "threads" I/O mode. ext4 with the only mount
option "noatime".

Here's a picture of the oops: http://ompldr.org/vZDNnNg

Since all I have is this screenshot, I'll have to type in the stack
trace. The oops message itself was lost thanks to kernel's brilliant
debugging tools (Shift+PgUp didn't work).

Process: flush-254:0 (pid 299)

Call Trace:
? pagevec_lookup_tag
? write_cache_pages_da [ext4]