Re: [GIT PULL] XFS update for 3.4-rc1

From: Ben Myers
Date: Thu Mar 22 2012 - 11:56:12 EST

Hi Linus,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 03:59:49PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the stuff in:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs master
> >
> > Conflicts with the stuff in:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus
>
> There's still nothng in 'for-linus'.

D'oh. I'll give it another whirl...

Please pull from git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus

I've updated it with changes for 3.4. We have scalability improvements
for quotas, log grant code cleanups, bugfixes and other cleanups large
and small.

> > I've resolved the conflict here:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus-merged
>
> I actually prefer to merge things myself to see what is up, especially
> since everybody else writes horrible merge messages (but also because
> I simply want to know what the conflicts are). I appreciate more
> complex pull requests that *also* have a "pre-merged" branch just in
> case (I tend to use that for verification if there was anything even
> remotely questionable going on), but I really do not generally want
> pre-merging.

I understand. Here's a pre-merged branch (just in case):

git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus-merged

> I'm used to resolving conflicts. I'm so used to it, in fact, that
> there have been cases where I did it right despite not really knowing
> the code and the maintainer did it wrong, just because I know what to
> look for.
>
> > I would like to figure out how to
> > 1) send important bugfixes upstream after rc1, and
> > 2) not hold up development commits to xfs/master, while
> > 3) avoiding conflicts like this.
>
> Avoiding conflicts isn't that important. Getting too many of them
> implies that there is something odd going on. But a few conflicts due
> to upstream bugfixes are basically "normal". Judging by the merge I
> see, there wasn't anything complicated going on.

Ok, I won't worry too much about avoiding conflict anymore. Summary and
diffstat below.

Thanks,
Ben

The following changes since commit 30d73f375238441d6dc31de0d90bc39f5bb0bfe5:

Merge tag 'dlm-3.4' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/teigland/linux-dlm (2012-03-21 13:54:22 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus

Alex Elder (1):
xfs: only take the ILOCK in xfs_reclaim_inode()

Amit Sahrawat (1):
xfs: kill the unused XFS_BB_FSB_OFFSET macro

Chandra Seetharaman (4):
Define a new function xfs_this_quota_on()
Define a new function xfs_inode_dquot()
Change xfs_sb_from_disk() interface to take a mount pointer
Define new macro XFS_ALL_QUOTA_ACTIVE and simply some usage

Christoph Hellwig (29):
xfs: use a normal shrinker for the dquot freelist
xfs: split tail_lsn assignments from log space wakeups
xfs: do exact log space wakeups in xlog_ungrant_log_space
xfs: remove xfs_trans_unlocked_item
xfs: cleanup xfs_log_space_wake
xfs: remove log space waitqueues
xfs: add the xlog_grant_head structure
xfs: add xlog_grant_head_init
xfs: add xlog_grant_head_wake_all
xfs: share code for grant head waiting
xfs: share code for grant head wakeups
xfs: share code for grant head availability checks
xfs: split and cleanup xfs_log_reserve
xfs: merge xfs_qm_export_dquot into xfs_qm_scall_getquota
xfs: include reservations in quota reporting
quota: make Q_XQUOTASYNC a noop
xfs: use per-filesystem I/O completion workqueues
xfs: do not require an ioend for new EOF calculation
xfs: log file size updates as part of unwritten extent conversion
xfs: log file size updates at I/O completion time
xfs: log timestamp updates
xfs: make xfs_inode_item_size idempotent
xfs: split in-core and on-disk inode log item fields
xfs: reimplement fdatasync support
xfs: use common code for quota statistics
xfs: per-filesystem dquot LRU lists
xfs: use per-filesystem radix trees for dquot lookup
xfs: remove the per-filesystem list of dquots
xfs: remove the global xfs_Gqm structure

Dave Chinner (5):
xfs: clean up minor sparse warnings
xfs: fix inode lookup race
xfs: remove remaining scraps of struct xfs_iomap
xfs: fallback to vmalloc for large buffers in xfs_attrmulti_attr_get
xfs: fallback to vmalloc for large buffers in xfs_getbmap

Jesper Juhl (1):
XFS: xfs_trans_add_item() - don't assign in ASSERT() when compare is intended

Mitsuo Hayasaka (4):
xfs: show uuid when mount fails due to duplicate uuid
xfs: change available ranges of softlimit and hardlimit in quota check
xfs: make inode quota check more general
xfs: cleanup quota check on disk blocks and inodes reservations

fs/quota/quota.c | 3 +-
fs/xfs/Makefile | 3 -
fs/xfs/kmem.h | 6 -
fs/xfs/xfs_aops.c | 183 +++++++----
fs/xfs/xfs_aops.h | 4 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_bmap.c | 13 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_buf.c | 17 -
fs/xfs/xfs_dfrag.c | 24 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_dir2_block.c | 1 +
fs/xfs/xfs_dquot.c | 539 +++++++++--------------------
fs/xfs/xfs_dquot.h | 49 ++--
fs/xfs/xfs_file.c | 84 +----
fs/xfs/xfs_iget.c | 41 ++-
fs/xfs/xfs_inode.c | 94 ++----
fs/xfs/xfs_inode.h | 23 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_inode_item.c | 297 ++++++----------
fs/xfs/xfs_inode_item.h | 16 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl.c | 14 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl32.c | 2 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_iomap.c | 19 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_iops.c | 71 +----
fs/xfs/xfs_itable.c | 21 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_log.c | 612 ++++++++++++++-------------------
fs/xfs/xfs_log.h | 16 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_log_priv.h | 28 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_log_recover.c | 12 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_mount.c | 8 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_mount.h | 5 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_qm.c | 863 ++++++++++++++++------------------------------
fs/xfs/xfs_qm.h | 63 +---
fs/xfs/xfs_qm_bhv.c | 42 +--
fs/xfs/xfs_qm_stats.c | 105 ------
fs/xfs/xfs_qm_stats.h | 53 ---
fs/xfs/xfs_qm_syscalls.c | 134 +++-----
fs/xfs/xfs_quota.h | 2 +
fs/xfs/xfs_quota_priv.h | 11 -
fs/xfs/xfs_sb.h | 1 -
fs/xfs/xfs_stats.c | 99 +++++-
fs/xfs/xfs_stats.h | 10 +
fs/xfs/xfs_super.c | 164 +++++-----
fs/xfs/xfs_super.h | 8 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_sync.c | 46 +---
fs/xfs/xfs_sync.h | 2 -
fs/xfs/xfs_trace.h | 33 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_trans.c | 35 ++-
fs/xfs/xfs_trans_ail.c | 83 +----
fs/xfs/xfs_trans_buf.c | 25 +--
fs/xfs/xfs_trans_dquot.c | 19 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_trans_inode.c | 8 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_trans_priv.h | 3 -
fs/xfs/xfs_vnode.h | 1 -
fs/xfs/xfs_vnodeops.h | 3 -
delete mode 100644 fs/xfs/xfs_qm_stats.c
delete mode 100644 fs/xfs/xfs_qm_stats.h