Re: Regression introduced by bfcfaa77bdf0f775263e906015982a608df01c76(vfs: use 'unsigned long' accesses for dcache name comparison and hashing)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 22 2012 - 16:52:50 EST

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> See upthread for diff doing just that ;-)  Let's see if that fixes the
> crap guys are seeing...  BTW, you have used full_name_hash(), just not
> on something 8 char long - devpts uses d_alloc_name(), but pty numbers
> tend to be less than ten millions...

Moving the "*=9" down to the "next" iteration does fix it for me in my
user-space test I just whipped up. Not exhaustive, but at least the
test confirms the thinking.

But yeah, let's verify that it also fixes the actual problem being reported.

And you're right, I don't have ten million pty's ;)

Linus