Re: [GIT PULL] (xen) stable/for-linus-3.4-tag-two (or three dependingon your taste) for v3.4-rc0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 24 2012 - 14:43:51 EST

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So the problem is when I do the git pull against your latest, it doesn't apply  the "provide .."
> but I still see it in the git shortlog!? Is that OK?

The fact that you see it in the shortlog just means that the commit is
there. If you don't see it in the diff, it is because somebody else
applied the *same* patch, but as a separate commit, so the merge will
have just considered it a no-op.

It's not uncommon, and if it happens occasionally with duplicated
patches that's fine. If it happens a *lot* that two people keep
applying the same patch to their different branches, that implies that
there's some workflow problem where people continually keep on
stepping on each others toes, and that's a problem.

But the occasional "oops, that change was already in mainline" is fine.

Linus