Re: GMA500 support

From: Thierry Reding
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 09:28:57 EST

* Alan Cox wrote:
> - Video playback acceleration. In theory there is enough info in the
> VAAPI code for GMA500/600 that has been published and in the old
> 'binary X/source kernel' driver to do this but someone will have to
> work on it if they want it

Hi Alan,

Are you referring to the VAAPI driver found in this repository?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/pvr-driver

From a quick look this seems to be developed for Poulsbo, but since you
mention GMA600 explicitly, is it supposed to work on newer hardware as
well? I'm specifically interested in the Atom N2600 which has a GMA3600
(0x8086:0x0be1 to be exact).

I'm also not sure which kernel driver this was developed against. It
looks like it might have been against the initial staging variant. At
least it still has some references to TTM, so I guess anyone wanting to
port it to the new kernel driver would have to convert those to GEM.

Do you think that would be doable? Can you say if the GMA3600 is
sufficiently similar to make that driver work?

Thierry