Re: [GIT PULL] Disintegrate and kill asm/system.h

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 04:11:55 EST

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 22:02 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > How about this (build tested on powerpc allyesconfig):
>
> Looks better.
>
> Grant - what's the plan about that CONFIG_VIRQ_DEBUG thing? In theory
> something like it could be useful as a generic thing, but at least
> right now it is clearly powerpc-specific (not just that the config
> option only exists for powerpc: it has that whole
> 'powerpc_debugfs_root' thing in it)?
>
> Stephen's patch very much looks like the right thing, but if there was
> some plan to actually make this generic ...

Yes, as I said earlier I think Grant should make it generic, there's
no reason to keep that powerpc specific, it's fairly useful and nothing
in userspace relies on the existing location of the debugfs file that I
know about.

Another option is to put the mapping information in /proc/interrupts but
worry that changing anything in there (like adding a column) will break
countless userspace tools.

Cheers,
Ben.