Re: K7/Athlon Optimization Causes Build Fail on Kernel 3.3 i686

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 16:46:45 EST

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:28:40AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I like this one for urgent as a quick fix, but it doesn't solve the real
> problem which is that boot/compressed shouldn't pick up these macros at all.

But it does through:

<arch/x86/include/asm/string_32.h>:

static inline void *__memcpy3d(void *to, const void *from, size_t len)
{
if (len < 512)
return __memcpy(to, from, len);
return _mmx_memcpy(to, from, len);
}

#define memcpy(t, f, n) \
(__builtin_constant_p((n)) \
? __constant_memcpy3d((t), (f), (n)) \
: __memcpy3d((t), (f), (n)))

> It should be possible to build with MK7 (which is an optimization
> option) and EFI (a functionality option) since they don't inherently
> conflict. It just doesn't necessarily have to happen *right now*.

I know, technically it is doable, but do you see a K7 box with an EFI
firmware? I, at least, don't think so... :-)

Now, if you think that those optimizations could be used on other boxes
which could sport EFI, then that's a whole another question...

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.