Re: K7/Athlon Optimization Causes Build Fail on Kernel 3.3 i686

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Mar 30 2012 - 03:47:52 EST

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 01:49:46PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> That's the problem... it shouldn't use that.

Well, I guess those could be made to get replaced in with alternatives
upon boot so they resolve to some default memcpy et al during build
time...

> >> It should be possible to build with MK7 (which is an optimization
> >> option) and EFI (a functionality option) since they don't inherently
> >> conflict. It just doesn't necessarily have to happen *right now*.
> >
> > I know, technically it is doable, but do you see a K7 box with an EFI
> > firmware? I, at least, don't think so... :-)
> >
> > Now, if you think that those optimizations could be used on other boxes
> > which could sport EFI, then that's a whole another question...
> >

> What I'm saying, mostly, is that this is indicative of a bigger bug.

Probably, but is it worth the trouble fixing it? I know, I know, this
could probably come back to bite us in other scenarios so we better fix
it right once and for all.

Let's leave it on the TODO list... (You know what happens to those items
:-))

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.