Re: mapped pagecache pages vs unmapped pages

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 20:49:29 EST

On 04/09/2012 08:31 PM, Minchan Kim wrote:
2012-04-10 ìì 8:50, Alexey Ivanov ì ê:

Did you consider making this ratio tunable, at least manually(i.e. via sysctl)?
I suppose we are not the only ones with almost-whole-ram-mmaped workload.

Personally, I think it's not good approach.
It depends on kernel's internal implemenatation which would be changed
in future as we chagend it at 2.6.28.

I also believe that a tunable for this is not going to be
a very workable approach, for the simple reason that changing
the value does not make a predictable change in the effectiveness
of working set detection or protection.

In my opinion, kernel just should do best effort to keep active working
set except some critical pages which are code pages.

Johannes has some experimental code to measure refaults, and
calculate their distance in a multi-zone, multi-cgroup environment.

That would allow us to predictably place things in the working set
as required.

--
All rights reversed