Re: Trying to make a working kernel with the gold linker

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 15:13:30 EST

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:28:56PM +0200, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

> Just compiling and installing a new binutils version should work fine.
>
> (But you should nonetheless consider to also upgrade gcc, because
> gcc-4.4 is ancient and not even officially maintained anymore...)

Well *someone* has to still make sure the kernel compiles correctly on
the enterprise distro's that a huge number of Linux users use...
(including RHEL 6, Debian Stable, SLES 11, Ubuntu LTS 10.04, etc.)

:-)

But yeah, I hope to get off of Ubuntu LTS real soon now, and onto
something a bit more hip, such as Debian testing.

- Ted