Re: Patch "USB: serial: mos7840: Supported MCS7810 device"

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 08:55:13 EST

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:20:52 +0800
"Donald" <donald@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thank you for your reply. As for your comment regarding the LED feature flag, the driver can provide a flag parameter for LED
> feature so that users will be able to set this LED feature at loading the driver, and by default, this flag is set false (LED
> feature is disabled). Could you let me know if this is what exactly matches your comment?

What I mean is that all over the code you have added

if (serial->num_ports == 1 && mos7840_port->...)

If a future device has LEDs and multiple ports, or a future device has
one port and no LED then all of them will need changing.

Instead if you had code in one place at initialisation which did

if (type == 7840 && serial->num_ports == 1)
mos7840_port->has_led = true;

then elsewhere did

if (mos7840_port->has_led && ....)

then it will avoid problems in the future.