Re: [GIT PULL] KVM updates for the 3.4 merge window

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Apr 16 2012 - 19:06:15 EST

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 15:53 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:

> kvm.git next is exposed to linux-next, where they get tested quite a
> lot. Granted it's mostly build testing, and people are unlikely to
> test
> kvm there, but they will test the non-kvm bits that creep in there.
>
> > The alternative would be that I don't have a -next tree, just
> collect patches and immediately send them to Avi. That way the main
> kvm tree would be broken more often, but at least we don't get these
> horrible synchronization latencies.
>
> That works too. Don't post immediately; 2-3 week batches would reduce
> noise.

Or do like I do with Kumar for FSL stuff... his stuff gets pulled via my
tree but his tree is in linux-next as well. There's no reason not to do
that.

That way, his next branch gets linux-next coverage whether it's in my
tree or not, and I pull when I put the final powerpc-next together,
which gives me a chance to do a quick vet "just in case" and sort out
any major conflict before it all goes to Linus.

Cheers,
Ben.