Re: load balancing regression since commit 367456c7

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Apr 17 2012 - 08:09:21 EST

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 18:06 -0700, Tim Chen wrote:
> |--56.52%-- load_balance
> | idle_balance
> | __schedule
> | schedule

Ahh, I know why I didn't see it, I have a CONFIG_PREEMPT kernel and
idle_balancing stops once its gotten a single task over instead of
achieving proper balance.

And since hackbench generates insanely long runqueues and the patch that
caused your regression 'fixed' the lock-breaking it will now iterate the
entire runqueue if needed to achieve balance, which hurts.

I think the patch I send ought to work, let me try disabling
CONFIG_PREEMPT.