Re: tg3 'No PHY devices' loading issue

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Tue Apr 17 2012 - 17:00:02 EST

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 03:40:30PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 08:10:42PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > [...]
> > > The 57788 uses the broadcom phylib module. For some reason, it isn't
> > > available the first module load attempt. A while ago, code was added to
> > > phylib to request modules from userspace if the particular phy support
> > > code wasn't already loaded. It looks like this mechanism isn't working
> > > too well the first time through.
> > [...]
> >
> > At a guess, tg3 is in the initramfs but broadcom isn't.
>
> Good guess. At least on one of the initramfs' I checked. I'll verify
> the others, but it seems likely they match. As I just said in my other
> reply, I would have expected tg3 to have a module dep on it to get it
> included in the initramfs built, but it seems that isn't the case.

tg3 doesn't use any symbols from broadcom, which is the only way
depmod can find dependencies.

In initramfs-tools (used in Debian and its derivatives) we just copy
all PHY drivers into the initramfs by default. dracut should probably
do the same, at least when phylib is in the initramfs (or built into
the kernel). (tg3 does use symbols from phylib.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus