Re: [3.4-rc3] Thread overran stack, or stack corrupted

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Apr 18 2012 - 00:06:35 EST

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:57:21PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > > This would show what functions the stack tracer is using.
> > >
> > > I just compiled the latest vanilla kernel and tried it out, and it
> > > worked for me.
> >
> > works on my other machines too with similar kernel configs, just not on the one I'm profiling.
>
> I have to ask. Is this a x86 box?

yeah, 64-bit Xeon circa 2008.

> Also, have you tested to see if function tracing works?
>
> # cd /sys/kernel/debug/tracing
> # echo function > current_tracer
> # cat trace
>
> If function tracing doesn't work this wouldn't either.

That just prints out..

# tracer: function
#
# entries-in-buffer/entries-written: 0/0 #P:4
#
# _-----=> irqs-off
# / _----=> need-resched
# | / _---=> hardirq/softirq
# || / _--=> preempt-depth
# ||| / delay
# TASK-PID CPU# |||| TIMESTAMP FUNCTION

> I'm also assuming you have CONFIG_STACKTRACE and
> CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT enabled. They should be selected, but configs
> can always get screwed up.

CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_STACKTRACE=y

Dave