Re: 3.1+ kernels unbootable

From: Chris Jones
Date: Wed Apr 25 2012 - 00:24:23 EST

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:21:22 +1000
NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> You might like to try
> a/ describing your current system in more detail.
> b/ describe what actually happens when you try to boot a 3.1+ kernel.
> It is rare that absolutely nothing happens.
> Also describe the provenance of these 3.1+ kernels (do you compile
> yourself, or get them from a distro or....)
>
> NeilBrown

Thanks Neil. I use standard x86_64 Intel CPU system with 2.0GB DDRII
RAM on a Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH motherboard.

This happens on both Ubuntu and Fedora kernels. And in fact, any kernel
3.1 or above. It's not only very odd, but also very annoying.

I get to the boot screen and when I select ENTER to boot into the
system, my screen goes black and then the system reboots. It's
definitely a kernel issue as anything (as mentioned already) with
kernel 3.0 or below works just fine.

Regards

Chris Jones