Re: what determines how firmware is loaded? (Q. on request_firmwaredetails)

From: Mark Brown
Date: Thu Apr 26 2012 - 11:49:17 EST

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:27:42AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 04:23:10PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Unfortunately 3.0 is what ICS is based off so the overwhelming majority
> > of vendor code is going to be based on it until the next Android
> > release. With my vendor hat on I have to say that we find our upstream
> > first policy extremely effective so we shouldn't be part of the issue.

> That's great, and understandable, but the original poster said they were
> using an old Ubuntu release, and the ability for the community to
> support bugs in older kernel releases like this is very difficult as you
> well know.

Oh, I missed that bit of the thread - if they're using a desktop distro
then upgrading should be much less painful than it would be with a
typical vendor kernel.

> The next Android release should be "any day now" so hopefully we move on
> from 3.0 soon...

Well, by the end of the summer or something - even when the release
drops there's always lag while the releases propagate out to the wider
market.