Re: Default Kconfig state for hw_random drivers

From: Nicolas Ferre
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 08:31:48 EST

On 04/26/2012 04:17 PM, Olof Johansson :
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Mark Brown
> <broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> An Atmel hw_random driver just appeared in -next. Since it's just a
>> regular platform device it has no dependencies on any particular
>> platform so following the behaviour of other hw_random drivers it's set
>> to default enabled if hw_random is enabled, even on non-Atmel platforms.
>>
>> This doesn't feel like the right thing to do - it'd mean that most of
>> the embedded RNGs would end up getting enabled by default which probably
>> isn't what we want.
>
> Indeed, thanks for catching this. The driver isn't new but it had a
> previous dependency on just one AT91 chip family.
>
> Looking at other options in the same Kconfig, it would be appropriate
> to make it depend on ARCH_AT91 instead.
>
> Nicolas?

Hi,

I had the same kind of discussion with Felipe and Arnd in this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/122248/focus=122304

The conclusion came out after Arnd's strong arguments:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/122962

Maybe adding a "default" directive can be an valid option?

Best regards,
--
Nicolas Ferre