Re: Regression in 32-bit ppc kernel

From: Larry Finger
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 20:02:34 EST

On 04/27/2012 05:26 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 10:38 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

Sorry, I was unable to find anything in debugfs to help me learn about interrupt
mapping. The value of CONFIG_NR_IRQS is already 512. I have not tried reducing
it to 128. The setting for CONFIG_SPARSE_IRQ was on, and changing it to off did
not make any difference.

I finished the bisection, which led to

commit a79dd5ae5a8f49688d65b89a859f2b98a7ee5538
Author: Benjamin Herrenschmidt<benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu Dec 15 11:13:03 2011 +1100

tty/serial/pmac_zilog: Fix suspend& resume

As this seemed to be an improbable result, I did the full test by checking out
the previous commit (43ca5d3). That resulted in a "good" result. Then I used
quilt to add commit a79dd5a as a patch and the fault returned. I then noticed
that you said in the commit message that "I removed some code for handling
unexpected interrupt which should never be hit...". It appears that my box does
indeed hit such an unexpected interrupt.

I could always get rid of the fault by disabling CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG, but I
would like to fix the problem if possible.

Right, it should be fixed. I need to understand where the unexpected
interrupt comes from. Can you tell me (or remind me) what specific
machine model you are using ? Are you putting the console on the serial
port ?

It is a 15" Powerbook G4. I think they call it a Titanium. The console is not on a serial port. In fact, the reason that I did not think this patch was a problem is because the serial port does not appear to be connected to an external port. I was unaware that there was a serial port on the motherboard. There is a modem jack, but no 9 or 25-pin connectors that would indicate a standard serial port.

There are two stack dumps with the same trace. I posted the first, but the second is preceded by the lines

[<c02adca0] pmz_interrupt
Disabling IRQ #23
ttyPZ1: IrDA setup for 57600 bps, dongle version: 4
ttyPZ1: IrDA setup for 115200 bps, dongle version: 4
irq23: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option

As I am not sure how to put options in with yaboot, I have not tried that.

Larry