Re: inux-next: Tree for Apr 27 (uml + mm/memcontrol.c)

From: Aneesh Kumar K.V
Date: Sat Apr 28 2012 - 14:02:49 EST

Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
> David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> > Seems reasonable. But the CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y,
>> > CONFIG_MEM_RES_CTLR_HUGETLB=n combination will cause unneeded code
>> > generation and space consumption in memcontrol.c.
>> >
>> > I wonder if we can additionally do, within memcontrol.c:
>> >
>> > /*
>> > * Nice comment goes here
>> > */
>> > #ifdef CONFIG_MEM_RES_CTLR_HUGETLB
>> > #define HUGE_MAX_HSTATE_FOO HUGE_MAX_HSTATE
>> > #else
>> > #define HUGE_MAX_HSTATE_FOO 0
>> > #endif
>> >
>> > and s/HUGE_MAX_HSTATE/HUGE_MAX_HSTATE_FOO/ in that file.
>> >

>> I haven't looked at the hugetlb memcg controller in-depth (yet), but I
>> really think we should start considering breaking things like this off
>> into its own cgroup. The hugetlb extension seems like something that
>> could be easily separtated, but perhaps I'm saying "easily" because I
>> haven't looked at the implementation.
>>
>> mm/memcontrol.c in linux-next is 5877 lines and, if history is any guide,
>> it's going to continue growing.
>>
>> If the hugetlb usage isn't charged against the memcg's
>> memory.usage_in_bytes like thp is, then I really think it should be its
>> own cgroup. From the hugetlb perspective absent any cgroups, things like
>> hstates (since we're talking about HUGE_MAX_HSTATE) are global resources
>> and so you'd need to preallocate these on the command line or via sysfs
>> before you could mmap them. So if my assumption that the hugetlb memcg
>> controller is only governing these global resources and charging a set of
>> tasks for what they use, then it really has no business in mm/memcontrol.c
>> to begin with, in my opinion.

My first version was to do it as a seperate controller

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/73826

But the feedback I received was to do it as a part of memcg extension,
because what the controller is limiting is memory albeit a different
type. AFAIU there is also this goal of avoiding controller proliferation.

-aneesh