Re: Lockdep false positive in sysfs

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sat Apr 28 2012 - 22:00:12 EST

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> However it would be nice if we could sort out the locking so that it
> isn't so tricky that neither lockdep nor sparse can figure it out.
>
> I have the sneaking suspicion that idioms that tangle up our automatic
> tools are also idioms that are likely to result in maintenance problems
> at some point.

That may well be true, but it won't be easy to avoid them. At the
least, it would require a careful analysis of the device tree usage.

> Another possibility to to look at the situation and realize that pci has
> a maxium depth of 256 (bus numbers). And that usb also has a maxium
> depth of I believe 256 ( If I read it right usb hubs are transparent to
> usb enumeration so the maximum depth is the maximum number of usb ids
> and I think the usb id is a 8 bit number).

USB has a maximum depth of 7 or so. It's limited by the number of hubs
allowed on the path between the host and a device.

> I don't think anything else
> even nests so deeply. So it may be reasonable to declare an array of
> 256 or perhaps 1024 lockdep keys and limit the device tree when lockdep
> is enabled to 1024 layers deep.
>
> At which point we are at a point where lockdep can actually analyze the
> behavior.

Unfortunately, we are not. As I mentioned earlier, the device "tree"
is really a forest. Locks are sometimes acquired in orders that are
not strictly downward.

> I don't mind the attitude we are clever careful programmers we can
> handle the complexity and we can get away without the tool help us, but
> I would much rather see the attitude that we are clever careful
> programmers and we can figure out how to make the tool help us instead
> of just ignoring it.

I'm certainly open to suggestions as to how to improve the situation,
but the simple-minded "keep track of the depth in the tree" approach
doesn't work.

Alan Stern