Re: autofs: make the autofsv5 packet file descriptor use a packetizedpipe

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Apr 30 2012 - 16:03:49 EST

On 04/29/2012 05:30 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Incidentally, I think there is a good reason to add a v6 packet type
> regardless, for efficiency: with packetized pipes there really is no
> point in sending a packet which is mostly padding for no good reason.

Thinking about it some more: for v6, I wouldn't use a packetized pipe at
all (due to the unnecessary extra buffer consumption.) Instead just put
the message size in the header and read a large chunk, which may end up
being more than one packet and may end up with a partial packet at the
end. *This is okay*, because there is only one reader, and any
additional data needed will be gotten the next time around the loop.

-hpa