Re: [patch 0/5] refault distance-based file cache sizing

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue May 01 2012 - 17:19:31 EST

On 05/01/2012 03:08 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2012 10:41:48 +0200
Johannes Weiner<hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This series stores file cache eviction information in the vacated page
cache radix tree slots and uses it on refault to see if the pages
currently on the active list need to have their status challenged.

So we no longer free the radix-tree node when everything under it has
been reclaimed? One could create workloads which would result in a
tremendous amount of memory used by radix_tree_node_cachep objects.

So I assume these things get thrown away at some point. Some
discussion about the life-cycle here would be useful.

I assume that in the current codebase Johannes has, we would
have to rely on the inode cache shrinker to reclaim the inode
and throw out the radix tree nodes.

Having a better way to deal with radix tree nodes that contain
stale entries (where the evicted pages would no longer receive
special treatment on re-fault, because it has been so long) get
reclaimed would be nice for a future version.

Probably not too urgent, though...

--
All rights reversed