Re: [RFC] sched: make callers check lock contention forcond_resched_lock()

From: Takuya Yoshikawa
Date: Thu May 03 2012 - 10:11:23 EST

On Thu, 03 May 2012 15:47:26 +0300
Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/03/2012 03:29 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 21:22 +0900, Takuya Yoshikawa wrote:
> > > Although the real use case is out of this RFC patch, we are now discussing
> > > a case in which we may hold a spin_lock for long time, ms order, depending
> > > on workload; and in that case, other threads -- VCPU threads -- should be
> > > given higher priority for that problematic lock.
> >
> > Firstly, if you can hold a lock that long, it shouldn't be a spinlock,
>
> In fact with your mm preemptibility work it can be made into a mutex, if
> the entire mmu notifier path can be done in task context. However it
> ends up a strange mutex - you can sleep while holding it but you may not
> allocate, because you might recurse into an mmu notifier again.
>
> Most uses of the lock only involve tweaking some bits though.

I might find a real way to go.

After your "mmu_lock -- TLB-flush" decoupling, we can change the current
get_dirty work flow like this:

for ... {
take mmu_lock
for 4K*8 gfns { // with 4KB dirty_bitmap_buffer
xchg dirty bits // 64/32 gfns at once
write protect them
}
release mmu_lock
copy_to_user
}
TLB flush

This reduces the size of dirty_bitmap_buffer and does not hold mmu_lock
so long.

I should have think of a way not to hold the spin_lock so long as Peter
said. My lack of thinking might be the real problem.

Thanks,
Takuya