Re: Linux Support for Thunderbolt using Apple Monitor

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Sat May 05 2012 - 12:48:49 EST

Hey Jiang,

Jiang Liu [Sat, May 05, 2012 at 11:18:09PM +0800]:
> It seems that the PCI topology related to the Thunderbird is:

Thanks for digging into this, I've the feeling we could somehow get
this running in the end...

> [...]
> According to the acpidump sent out by you, I guess the relationship among PCIe and ACPI is as below:
> Device (PCI0) // PCIe host bridge
> {
> Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
> Device (P0P2) //00:01.0
> {
> Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
> Device (UPSB) //03:00.0
> {
> Name (_ADR, 0x00)
> Device (DSB2) //04:04.0
> {
> Name (_ADR, 0x00040000)
> Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)
> {
> Return (OSDW ()) // OSDW-> OS is Darwin
> }
> Device (UPS2) //37:00.0
> {
> Name (_ADR, 0x00)
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
>
> But _RMV method only returns 1 on iOS or Max OS X. That means ACPI based hotplug is disabled
> on Linux for your system. And as Yinghai has pointed out, all the PCIe downstream ports on
> the system don't support PCIe hotplug. So need BIOS or hardware changes to support Thunderbolt
> cable hotplug on your system.

I'm not deep into how acpi works, but wondering: Can't we replace that part,
change the tree or emulate a different OSDW() method similar to LD_PRELOAD?

Cheers,

Nico

--
PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5 5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0