Re: c/r: broken locking when executing map_files

From: Vasiliy Kulikov
Date: Sun May 06 2012 - 16:22:32 EST

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 23:32 +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> > > Probably it will be better to change mutex_lock_killable() to
> > > mutex_lock_killable_nested() inside of lock_trace() instead of this change?
> > > It would keep the race-free check.
> >
> > Yup, if I'm not missing something SINGLE_DEPTH_NESTING should do the trick
> > for us. I'll test and report.
>
> Hmm, this doesn't work well, the mutex remanins killable so when one does

Does it show circular locking? It shouldn't block if it uses
mutex_lock+mutex_lock_nested.

> | [root@neptune ~]# /proc/self/map_files/400000-419000
>
> it sleeps forever until killed, which is not good I think. Vasiliy, could
> you remind me what exactly is problem if we use unlocked ptrace_may_access
> here?

There is a race between ptrace_may_access() and dname_to_vma_addr().
The target task may do exec() between these calls and
dname_to_vma_addr() will be called against a privileged task. This may
lead to a leak of task maps.

--
Vasily Kulikov