Re: Regression due to d29f3ef "tty_lock: Localise the lock"

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue May 08 2012 - 05:32:26 EST

On Mon, 07 May 2012 17:06:38 -0600
Stephen Warren <swarren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Commit d29f3ef "tty_lock: Localise the lock" appears to cause a problem
> for me.
>
> With this commit (as in next-20120507), I can no longer log into my
> system (NVIDIA Tegra device with ARM CPU) over the serial console, since
> the login prompt no longer appears. If I wait a few minutes, I see the
> following console spew:

Eep. If it's reproducable can you test whether adding the unlock/relock
in drivers/tty/pty.c does the trick ?

ie:
tty_unlock(tty);
tty_vhangup(tty);
tty_lock(tty);

or if changing it for tty_hangup(tty) does it.

There's some kind of lurking circular locking deadlock that I've not
managed to trigger here but a couple of reports point towards.