Re: [EDAC ABI v13 04/25] events/hw_event: Create a Hardware EventsReport Mecanism (HERM)

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed May 09 2012 - 10:19:18 EST

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:51 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 09-05-2012 10:22, Borislav Petkov escreveu:
> > + Tony.
>
> C/C Steven.

Hehe, I was already Cc'd ;-)

> One other option would be to call it as "include/trace/events/ras.h".
>
> Steven,
>
> Would it be possible/recommendable to move this trace header
> to include/linux/ras/hw_event.h?

Yeah, it's not hard. In fact, it's documented in
samples/trace_events/trace-events-sample.h:

/*
* There are several ways I could have done this. If I left out the
* TRACE_INCLUDE_PATH, then it would default to the kernel source
* include/trace/events directory.
*
* I could specify a path from the define_trace.h file back to this
* file.
*
* #define TRACE_INCLUDE_PATH ../../samples/trace_events
*
* But the safest and easiest way to simply make it use the directory
* that the file is in is to add in the Makefile:
*
* CFLAGS_trace-events-sample.o := -I$(src)
*
* This will make sure the current path is part of the include
* structure for our file so that define_trace.h can find it.
*
* I could have made only the top level directory the include:
*
* CFLAGS_trace-events-sample.o := -I$(PWD)
*
* And then let the path to this directory be the TRACE_INCLUDE_PATH:
*
* #define TRACE_INCLUDE_PATH samples/trace_events
*
* But then if something defines "samples" or "trace_events" as a macro
* then we could risk that being converted too, and give us an unexpected
* result.
*/

But usually the header would go where the code is:

drivers/edac/hw_event.h

Or rename it. The XFS tracepoints do this:

fs/xfs/xfs_trace.h

-- Steve