Re: [patch 00/10] (no)bootmem bits for 3.5

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed May 09 2012 - 13:35:29 EST

Hello,

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:57:48PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > It was used on x86-32 numa to try all bootmem allocations from node 0
> > first (see only remaining definition of bootmem_arch_preferred_node),
> > which AFAICS nobootmem no longer respects.
> >
> > Shouldn't this be fixed instead?
> I do not know. Tejun / Yinghai?

Indeed, preferring node 0 for bootmem allocation on x86_32 got lost
across the nobootmem changes. I followed the git history and
preferring NODE_DATA(0) goes back to the initial git branch creation
time (2.6.12) and I couldn't find any explanation, and nobody
complained about the changed behavior. hpa, do you know why the code
to prefer node 0 for bootmem allocations was added in the first place?
Maybe we can just remove it?

Thanks.

--
tejun