Re: [patch 0/5] Bug fix and win8 for hid-multitouch

From: Benjamin Tissoires
Date: Wed May 09 2012 - 13:52:05 EST

Hello Jiri,

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2012, benjamin.tissoires wrote:
>
>> The first patch fixes the bug I discovered lately. This bug was related to the out
>> of bound bitfield test, so it concerns every known devices. Ideally, it should go
>> to upstream-fixes, but this would requires additional adaptations.
>> Jiri, How do you want to proceed?
>
> When did the bug get introduced, please? i.e. is it a regression?

Well, it's not exactly a regression: it's always been there... ;-)

More seriously, the bug was introduced in the commit
"HID: multitouch: fix handling of buggy reports descriptors for Dell
ST2220T" (in kernel 3.3)
The thing is that this bug fix was not good and was working by miracle.

> As we are getting close to 3.5 merge window being open, maybe the best
> thing to do would be just push it there once it's open, and then
> eventually backport it for stable@ if necessary.

That seems fair.

>> The last 4 patches are the beginning of the support of Win8 devices.
>> It's only the beginning as the specification is much more precise than
>> the Win7, and we will need to do more tuning in the future. However,
>> Win8 devices are retro-compatible with Win7, so they will work out of
>> the box though.
>
> I understand that Henrik had some valid concerns, so I will wait for a
> second respin and Henrik's ack, ok?

ok,
Thanks,
Benjamin