Re: Perf events warning..

From: David Ahern
Date: Tue May 15 2012 - 11:25:22 EST

On 5/15/12 4:49 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 15:25 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Peter Zijlstra<a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So far I can't make any of the things I came up stick. You ran something
simple like: 'perf record -e cycles:pp -F 20000 make test' ? Or did you
do something more interesting?

It was not much more complex than that.

It did use "make -j64 test" to make the load a *bit* more interesting
(and go noticeably faster), but other than that you got it.

OK, that limits the scope of crazy scenarios I have to consider, still
no immediate clue though..

I think I've found a possible race, but I can't make it work with that
workload. I've also let your workload run for 2+ hours in trying to
reproduce, but no luck, it must be a very narrow window indeed.

I'll keep prodding at it..

Perhaps it is specific to processor generation? Yesterday I noted that perf-stat -g trips a WARNING only on Nehalem. Westmere works fine - perf-stat -g generates output and no warning is triggered. Arnaldo is using Sandy Bridge - though it's not clear if his success (3.4.0-rc3 on server named sandy) or fail (3.4.0-rc4-uprobes on felicio) was on a SNB.

David