Re: NVM Mapping API

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed May 16 2012 - 12:01:45 EST

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:02:01PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> I would love to use this from userspace. If I could carve out a little
> piece of NVM as a file (or whatever) and mmap it, I could do all kinds
> of fun things with that. It would be nice if it had well-defined, or at
> least configurable or discoverable, caching properties (e.g. WB, WT, WC,
> UC, etc.).

Yes, usage from userspace is definitely planned; again through a
filesystem interface. Treating it like a regular file will work as
expected; the question is how to expose the interesting properties
(eg is there a lighter weight mechanism than calling msync()).

My hope was that by having a discussion of how to use this stuff within
the kernel, we might come up with some usage models that would inform
how we design a user space library.

> (Even better would be a way to make a clone of an fd that only allows
> mmap, but that's a mostly unrelated issue.)

O_MMAP_ONLY? And I'm not sure why you'd want to forbid reads and writes.