Re: Boot failure since 3.3-rc?

From: Sune Mølgaard
Date: Fri May 18 2012 - 20:54:32 EST

Problem solved.

At some point between 3.3-rc3 and 3.3-rc4, something has made the uuids in /dev/disk/by-uuid/ different from the uuids that are embedded in md raid member v 0.90 metadata.

Failure at my end was caused by my adding (mdN) entries to /bot/grub/device.map at some time in the past, mapping them to the entries there.

Changing said entries to point to symlinks in /dev/disk/by-id solved this for me.

Problem was compunded by the use of initrd since, as one will readily surmise post-hoc, a kernel with no other problems will boot if the corresponding initrd image was built under a kernel with the old behaviour wrt. to /dev/disk/by-uuid mappings, thus prompting one to "git bisect good", whereas the kernel built while being booted in that kernel, with the initrd image being built under it will fail if it exhibits the new behaviour, leading to an off-by-one in the binary search of git bisect.

This mail is meant jointly as a "problem solved" message to this list, and as explanation for posterity if someone else happens to run into similar problems.

Initial confusion was mainly due to the lack of an attached monitor, the acquirement of which showed the eroor to be one of failure to mount the root fs, and even if that might have been seen via netconsole, I decided to order one before realising that some of the kernels would label my two ethernet cards differently than what udev picked up at one time and made permanent...

In closing: Thank you all for your input and sorry for the noise.

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

--
Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is
opinion.