Re: [tip:perf/uprobes] uprobes, mm, x86: Add the ability to installand remove uprobes breakpoints

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 21:16:18 EST

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:13:23 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:00:28 -0700
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Morton
> > <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > hm, we seem to have conflicting commits between mainline and linux-next.
> > > During the merge window. __Again. __Nobody knows why this happens.
> >
> > I didn't have my trivial cleanup branches in linux-next, I'm afraid.
>
> Well, it's a broader issue than that. I often see a large number of
> rejects when syncing mainline with linux-next during the merge window.
> Right now:

Some of that is because your patch series is based on the end of
linux-next and part way through the merge window only some of that has
been merged by Linus. Also some of it gets rebased before Linus is asked
to pull (a real pain) - there hasn't been much of that (yet) this merge
window (but its early days :-(). Also, sometimes Linus' merge
resolutions are different to mine.

I have been meaning to talk to you about basing the majority of your
patch series on Linus' tree. This would give it mush greater stability
and would make the merge resolution my problem (and Linus', of course).

There will be bits that may need to be based on other work in linux-next,
but I suspect that it is not very much.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx