Re: [GIT PULL] PCI updates for 3.5 merge window

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 12:53:16 EST

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or is "smarter" already in a newer version of git - I have:
>
> $ git --version
> git version 1.7.9.5

I think you want 1.7.10 for anything to do with tagged messages.

You can do everything with 1.7.9 (it can still handle the tags
correctly), but it doesn't DTRT by default: you have to explicitly
mention the "tag" part (ie you need to use "tags/xyz" instead of just
"xyz"), and git pull-request doesn't realize that pulling a signed tag
does more than just pulling the commit it points to etc etc. So with
1.7.9 you can make things work, but you would end up to work around
the fact that the whole signed tag pulling wasn't really a real
feature before that.

So 1.7.10 is when pulling a signed tag was really introduced: it's
just that earlier versions can still *create* those tags (so the only
one who *had* to have 1.7.10 was the person doing the pull).

I would strongly recommend just doing

git clone git://github.com/gitster/git
cd git
make
make install

as just a normal user (*NOT* as root), which will install git in your
~/bin directory. Then, just make sure that you have ~/bin in your PATH
before /usr/bin, and you're all set. No need to mess with or worry
about distro git binaries - leave them alone, but get the best and the
brightest for your own use.

Linus