Re: [patch -linus] regmap: REMAP_IRQ should select IRQ_DOMAIN itself

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 21:19:53 EST

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 05:36:38PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:

> What's fragile is going around and adding "select IRQ_DOMAIN" to
> everything that does "select REGMAP_IRQ". So I removed that and just made
> IRQ_DOMAIN select REGMAP_IRQ itself.

It's a different kind of fragility, things break immediately when you
add something new which is reasonably obvous as opposed to happening
at some other time due to a tooling issue and what I'm concerned about
avoiding. In any case...

> So can this be merged or what's the issue?

...Linus already merged my alternative patch which does this with a
select..if which never seems to have these issues.

Your patch *should* work but due to past issues and the fact that I can
understand why they might occur (the semantic of select is "just enable
this" which doesn't pay too much attention to the target) I'd rather go
with this different approach.