Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 03:16:07 EST

Hi Ingo,

On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:35:36 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hm, that's our fault: seems like a linker bug fallout, one which
> > > we fixed in -tip.

> > > While we've fixed this, to simplify merge window integration of
> > > linux-next I've excluded tip:x86/trampoline from the linux-next
> > > branch for now, so this build failure should go away tomorrow.
> >
> > Weirdly, I still got the same error today. Any ideas?
>
> Ought to be fixed now.

OK, clearly something is wrong :-( There could well be a problem with my
toolchain.

I am still getting this error. Build is an i386 defconfig

$ i386-linux-gcc --version
i386-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.6.0

$ i386-linux-ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.21
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

I have CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y and -s on the build command line.

This is the entire build log:

In file included from /scratch/sfr/next/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:580:0,
from /scratch/sfr/next/include/linux/uaccess.h:5,
from /scratch/sfr/next/include/linux/highmem.h:8,
from /scratch/sfr/next/include/linux/pagemap.h:10,
from /scratch/sfr/next/fs/binfmt_misc.c:27:
/scratch/sfr/next/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_32.h: In function 'parse_command.part.1':
/scratch/sfr/next/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_32.h:211:26: warning: call to 'copy_from_user_overflow' declared with attribute warning: copy_from_user() buffer size is not provably correct [enabled by default]
sort done marker at 9112a4
Invalid absolute R_386_32 relocation: jiffies
make[3]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.relocs] Error 1
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make[1]: *** [bzImage] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

--
Cheers,