Re: Anyone successfully booted a custom kernel on Fedora 17?

From: Ben Greear
Date: Wed May 30 2012 - 23:15:33 EST

On 05/30/2012 05:16 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
This is probably a Fedora 17 issue..but hoping someone will have mercy on me :)

Must be something to do with my kernel config or how I generate
the initrd with mkinitrd: I tried vanilla 3.3.7 compiled and
installed with:

Copy Fedora kernel config to ./config
make -j8 bzImage modules
make modules_install
make install

(and fixed up grub2)
and it booted just fine.

Thanks,
Ben

I upgraded a system to Fedora 17 (from 16), and now none of my
custom-built kernels are booting. I'm compiling the kernels on
another machine, running the 'make modules install', tarring everything
up, and then running 'mkinitrd ...' after un-tarring on the F17 machine.

The F17 machine hangs right before it should begin starting services.

I tried 3.3.7+, 3.0.32+, etc. The kernels that come with F17 boot fine.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>