Re: [RFC Patch] fs: implement per-file drop caches

From: Cong Wang
Date: Fri Jun 01 2012 - 07:32:26 EST

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 15:09 -0400, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> (5/31/12 8:11 AM), Cong Wang wrote:

> >> madvise should work. I don't think we need duplicate interface. Moreomover
> >> madvise(2) is cleaner than fcntl(2).
> >>

> > I think madvise(DONTNEED) attacks the problem in a different approach,
> > it munmaps the file mapping and by the way drops the page caches, my
> > approach is to drop the page caches directly similar to what sysctl
> > drop_caches.
> >
> > What about private file mapping? Could madvise(DONTNEED) drop the page
> > caches too even when the other process is doing the same private file
> > mapping? At least my patch could do this.
>
> Right. But a process can makes another mappings if a process have enough
> permission. and if it doesn't, a process shouldn't be able to drop a shared
> cache.

Ok, then this patch is not a dup of madvise(DONTNEED).

> > I am not sure if fcntl() is a good interface either, this is why the
> > patch is marked as RFC. :-D
>
> But, if you can find certain usecase, I'm not against anymore.

Yeah, at least John Stoffel expressed his interests on this, as a
sysadmin. So I believe there are some people need it.

Now the problem is that I don't find a proper existing utility to patch,
maybe PÃdraig has any hints on this? Could this feature be merged into
some core utility? Or I have to write a new utility for this?

Thanks.