Re: WARNING: at mm/page-writeback.c:1990__set_page_dirty_nobuffers+0x13a/0x170()

From: Dave Jones
Date: Fri Jun 01 2012 - 09:43:27 EST

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 07:43:25PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So I bisected it anyway, and it led to ...
>
> Ok, that doesn't sound entirely unlikely, but considering that you're
> nervous about the bisection, please just try to revert it and see if
> that fixes your testcase.
>
> You'll obviously need to revert the commit that removes
> vmtruncate_range() too, since reverting 3f31d07571ee will re-introduce
> the use of it (it's the next one:
> 17cf28afea2a1112f240a3a2da8af883be024811), but it looks like those two
> commits revert cleanly and the end result seems to compile ok.

crap, so much for that theory. I ran latest with those two reverted
overnight, and woke up to a dead box. Over serial console, I see
a bunch of those same compaction oopses (Via sys_mmap_pgoff),
and then kernel BUG at include/linux/mm.h:448! was the last thing
it said before it choked.

I'll redo the bisect. It's possible that one of the 'good' paths just
didn't run for long enough.

Dave