Re: WARNING: at mm/page-writeback.c:1990 __set_page_dirty_nobuffers+0x13a/0x170()

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Sun Jun 03 2012 - 20:46:28 EST

(6/3/12 7:13 PM), Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Hugh Dickins<hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But another strike against that commit: I tried fixing it up to use
start_page instead of page at the end, with the worrying but safer
locking I suggested at first, with a count of how many times it went
there, and how many times it succeeded.

You can't use start_page anyway, it might not be a valid page. There's
a reson it does that "pfn_valid_within()", methinks.

Right. ia64 has strange^H^H^H^H optimized pfn_valid and we need care it.
(btw, I don't understand why mips may enable CONFIG_HOLES_INZONE, mips doesn't
have custom pfn_valid)

Anyway, my current plan is to apply your "mm: fix warning in
__set_page_dirty_nobuffers" patch - even if it's just a harmless
WARN_ON_ONCE(), and revert 5ceb9ce6fe94. Sounds like Dave hit normally
hit his problem much before two hours, and it must be even longer now.

Ack on that plan?

+1.