Re: Question about do_mmap changes

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Jun 04 2012 - 02:37:35 EST

On 06/04/2012 01:26 AM, Al Viro wrote:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 12:29:45AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
Al,

In commit e3fc629d7bb70848fbf479688a66d4e76dff46ac in 3.5-rc1, you
change do_mmap() to static, and use do_mmap_pgoff() instaed. The
VirtualBox kernel module calls do_mmap(), and no longer compiles. I
fixed the compile problem with the patch
[snip]
I am not quite sure why do_munmap() is undefined as the symbol is
exported; however, should do_mmap_pgoff() be exported?

a) you'd better make very certain that you are holding ->mmap_sem on
current->mm; I couldn't verify that.

b) as for rtR0MemObjLinuxDoMmap(), I would suggest pulling down_write()/
up_write() on ->mmap_sem into the function, collapsing them down into
do_mmap() turning it into vm_mmap(). Oh, and probably breaking wrists
to whoever had come up with that function name, but that's a matter of
taste. Some prefer kneecaps.

c) WTF is MY_DO_MUNMAP() and are you guaranteed that you are doing that to
current->mm and not to something else? If not, you have a big problem;
if yes, convert to vm_munmap().

Again, doing mmap/munmap to some random process' mm is a bloody bad idea;
there's a shitload of races in that area.

Oh, shit. I was hoping for an easy conversion of this code to work with 3.5 so that I could use VB while testing 3.5. Clearly, the fixes will not be quick.

As you have likely gathered, I am not a VB developer. Is it OK if I pass your comments on to the real developers and let them do the work?

Thanks,

Larry