Re: um: TTY fixes (?)

From: Karel Zak
Date: Tue Jun 05 2012 - 06:42:16 EST

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 01:14:41AM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 04.06.2012 23:17, schrieb Alan Cox:
> >> On all other ttys login works but bash dies because of of -EIO.
> >> After vhangup() the tty returns -EIO upon read()/write().
> >
> > You can't re-open the tty because a process is holding on to it, not
> > closing it and not killable. Fedora shouldn't be holding these devices
> > open this way. The behaviour we have of refusing to reopen them why this
> > is the case is both a) what the spec seems to say b) good security.
>
> Hmm, there seems to be a bug in util-linux's login.
> login-utils/login.c::init_tty() does:
> /* Kill processes left on this tty */
> tcsetattr(0, TCSAFLUSH, &ttt);
>
> signal(SIGHUP, SIG_IGN); /* so vhangup() wont kill us */
> vhangup();
> signal(SIGHUP, SIG_DFL);
>
> /* open stdin,stdout,stderr to the tty */
> open_tty(cxt->tty_path);
>
> /* restore tty modes */
> tcsetattr(0, TCSAFLUSH, &tt);
>
> By calling vhangup() it kills all other programs on the current tty.
> open_tty() opens the tty again but it's still open because stdin, stdout and stderr
> belongs to it.

open_tty() closes all the old file descriptors after tty open:

vhangup();
fd = open(tty, O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK);

flags = fcntl(fd, F_GETFL);
flags &= ~O_NONBLOCK;
fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, flags);

for (i = 0; i < fd; i++)
close(i);
for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
if (fd != i)
dup2(fd, i);
if (fd >= 3)
close(fd);

we use this for pretty long time (17+ years).

> If I add:
> fclose(stdin);
> fclose(stdout);
> fclose(stderr);
> before the call to vhangup() login works like charm. :-)
>
> Karel, what do you think?

It's probably no problem to close all the file descriptors before
vhangup(), but it would be nice to know why we need this change after
20 years :-)

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>