Re: [uml-devel] um: TTY fixes (?)

From: Richard Weinberger
Date: Thu Jun 07 2012 - 04:45:38 EST

Am 07.06.2012 09:35, schrieb Boaz Harrosh:

> OK I've run with these for a few days and they are doing
> the Job perfectly. Not a single problem.

Good to know.

> You may add tested-by: Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> on all patches if you'd like.
>
> Please push them ASAP to Linus. They fix a real life breakage
> that's there since v3.3. At least now we are back to
> the problems that where there for a long time.
>
> Please also CC: Stable Tree <stable@xxxxxxxxxx> for 3.4
> as clearly 3.4 is unusable at all right now.

We cannot push this patch to Linus or -stable.
The problem is that will break other things.
E.g. login on non-tty0 terminals will break if the distro uses
util-linux's login.

> I wish they would be sent to older stables as well, but
> they won't patch, so it's not worth the effort.
>
>>> mingetty is unable to start on anything else than tty0.
>>> It exits after a few seconds.
>

> I suspect this was always so since forever. I don't even know
> how to configure such a thing. I know that the console I run
> vmlinux from becomes tty0, until I halt (or crash). How do
> you open more tty(s) and attach them to console windows?
> I just use ssh for that.

con=pts is very nice.
UML allocates a pts for each tty on the *host* side.
Then you can attach to this tty using screen.
See: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/input.html

> (The setup of tty(s) for UML on Fedora is always such a pain
> and it changed 4 times since FC10, I always have to mount
> the image, figure out how to make tty1 a tty0, and delete
> all the other tty(s). perhaps I'm just clueless. Is there an
> easier way? Is there a way to tell UML to make tty0 be a tty1?
> Because in fedora tty0 is not defined.)

AFAIK no. But you can tell Fedora to use tty0.
Even with systemd this is possible. :-)

> But please do not delay these patches because of old problems.
> These can be solved later.

Breaking existing applications is a no-go, sorry.

Thanks,
//richard