Re: ivring driver

From: Yoshihiro YUNOMAE
Date: Mon Jun 11 2012 - 22:37:01 EST

(2012/06/06 0:29), Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
Hi Yoshihiro,

I stumbled on your post on ivring (https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/6/5/143)
for buffering trace data from guest to host. I notice that it would be
very interesting to see a comparison of its performance against:

- ftrace ring buffer
- perf ring buffer
- lttng 2.0 ring buffer
- lttng-ust 2.0 (user-space tracing) ring buffer

Hi Mathieu. Thank you for commenting on how to compare among
ring-buffer's performances. And sorry, I'm late for replying to you.

Comparing only with network-related mechanisms does not seem to provide
a complete picture of where it stands wrt other ring buffers out there.

One of the metric we have used in the past is the number of nanoseconds
it takes to write a single event, based on a test that writes lots of
events into various buffer sizes, into flight recorder mode buffers
(which overwrites oldest information on buffer full condition, with data
collection to disk disabled, to remove I/O from the picture -- I/O can
then be performed in "snapshot" mode, after some error condition is
detected).

OK, I see. When the overhead of ring-buffers will be evaluated in
the next, I may use the metric as a reference.

Thank you,

--
Yoshihiro YUNOMAE
Software Platform Research Dept. Linux Technology Center