Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

From: Zhouping Liu
Date: Mon Jun 11 2012 - 23:58:29 EST

On 06/11/2012 09:27 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 21:38 -0400, Zhouping Liu wrote:
# cat /sys/devices/system/node/node*/distance
10 17 17 24 24 24 30 30
18 10 30 18 18 24 24 24
18 24 10 24 24 17 30 30
24 18 23 10 24 17 17 30
24 17 24 24 10 18 30 18
31 24 17 18 18 10 24 24
30 24 30 17 24 24 10 18
30 24 30 24 17 24 17 10
You have to be kidding me right? That thing is a complete trainwreck,
what idiot vendor did this?

it's a HP's machine.
If I understand correctly, you meant the hardware has a bad configuration,
just serious :) could you explain the reason? (you can ignore it if it's a stupid question)

If you boot that machine again, does it have the same stupid table or
are we staring at white-noise?

indeed, it's always the same table.

And the issues is gone in the latest Linus tree(commit b84297197ce60),
I'm not sure which patches fixed the issue.

Thanks,
Zhouping