Re: automated warning notifications

From: Fengguang Wu
Date: Fri Jun 15 2012 - 10:34:07 EST

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 02:19:14PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:

> > > Fair enough. How can we setup the mailing list? Once the list up, it
> > > would be trivial for me to send sparse warnings out there.
> >
> > I'm not completely sure that a mailing list would completely eliminate
> > duplicate messages. But still, it could be the place for people who are
> > interested in seeing such messages to go to, so it seems like a good
> > thing. I would be happy to contribute content :)
>
> Yeah. That might be interesting. If you don't know whether a bug
> is a false positive or not you could submit it to the list for
> people to look at.
>
> I don't know if anyone will actually look at them. I had been
> planning to filter them to a mail box and automatically ignore
> anything that was a duplicate. But it might actually be worth
> looking at them as well. Especially if you email had enough useful
> context so I could tell from the message what the bug is.
>
> Probably we could use something like the attached script to print
> out the line of code which causes the bug and some other script to
> querry git blame and attach the offending commit?

cat -n $code_file | tail -n +$(($lineno - (($context + 1) / 2))) | head -n $(($context + 1))

That's handy, I'll use it to show the source file context for the
first error/warning :-)

Example:

drivers/leds/led-triggers.c: In function âled_trigger_eventâ:
drivers/leds/led-triggers.c:227:3: error: implicit declaration of function âled_set_brightnessâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

drivers/leds/led-triggers.c:227:
224 struct led_classdev *led_cdev;
225
226 led_cdev = list_entry(entry, struct led_classdev, trig_list);
> 227 led_set_brightness(led_cdev, brightness);
228 }
229 read_unlock(&trigger->leddev_list_lock);
230 }

Thanks!
Fengguang