Re: cpuidle future and improvements

From: Jean Pihet
Date: Mon Jun 18 2012 - 09:06:27 EST

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 02:53 PM, Peter De Schrijver wrote:

That makes sense, especially if you can refactor _and_ add new
functionality at the same time.

>>> Absolutely, this is one reason I think adding a function:
>>>
>>> cpuidle_register_latencies(int cpu, struct cpuidle_latencies);
>>>
>>> makes sense if it is used only for cpus with different latencies.
>>> The other architecture will be kept untouched.
Do you mean by keeping the parameters in the cpuidle_driver struct and
not calling the new API? That looks great.

>>> IMHO, before adding more functionalities to cpuidle, we should cleanup
>>> and consolidate the code. For example, there is a dependency between
>>> acpi_idle and intel_idle which can be resolved with the notifiers, or
>>> there is intel specific code in cpuidle.c and cpuidle.h, cpu_relax is
>>> also introduced to cpuidle which is related to x86 not the cpuidle core,
>>> etc ...
>>>
>>> Cleanup the code will help to move the different bits from the arch
>>> specific code to the core code and reduce the impact of the core's
>>> modifications. That should let a common pattern to emerge and will
>>> facilitate the modifications in the future (per cpu latencies is one of
>>> them).
>>>
>>> That will be a lot of changes and this is why I proposed to put in place
>>> a cpuidle-next tree in order to consolidate all the cpuidle
>>> modifications people is willing to see upstream and provide better testing.
Nice! The new tree needs to be as close as possible to mainline
though. Do you have plans for that?
Do not hesitate to ask for help on OMAPs!

Regards,
Jean